PREP TIME: 15 MINUTES ; COOK TIME: 10 MINUTES
The Hunan area in southern China is known for its dishes that balance sweet, fiery, and pungent flavors. This exemplary tofu dish is spiced with bean glue and salted with aged dark beans.
1 teaspoon cornstarch
1 tablespoon of water
4 tablespoons of vegetable or canola oil, partitioned
1 pound of firm tofu, depleted and cut into
½-2 inch thick tiles
3 tablespoons aged dark beans, washed and squashed
2 tablespoons of doubanjiang (Chinese pepper glue) 1 bit of new ginger 2.5 cm, stripped and finely hacked
3 cloves of garlic, finely hacked
1 huge red chime pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces
4 green onions, cut into 2-inch pieces
1 tablespoon rice wine Shaoxing
1 teaspoon of sugar
¼ cup low-sodium chicken or vegetable stock
- In a little bowl, blend the cornstarch and water and put them in a safe spot.
- Warmth a wok over medium-high warmth until a drop of water sizzles and dissipates on contact. Pour in 2 tablespoons of oil and mix to cover the base and sides of the wok. Add a touch of salt and orchestrate the tofu cuts in the wok in a solitary layer. Hold onto the tofu for 1 to 2 minutes, inclining the wok to slide the oil under the tofu as it spreads. At the point when the principal side is caramelized, utilizing a wok spatula, cautiously turn the tofu over and fry for 1 to 2 minutes until brilliant earthy colored. Move the held onto tofu to a plate and put it in a safe spot.
- Lower the warmth to medium-low. Add the leftover 2 tablespoons of oil to the wok. When the oil begins to smoke marginally, add the dark beans, bean glue, ginger, and garlic. Sauté for 20 seconds, or until the oil turns a dull red tone because of the bean glue.
- Add the chime pepper and green onions and blend in with the wine and Shaoxing Sugar. Cook for one more moment or until the wine has practically vanished and the ringer pepper is delicate.
- Tenderly mix in the singed tofu until all wok fixings are mixed. Keep on cooking for an extra 45 seconds, or until the tofu is dim red in shading and the green onions are shriveled.
- Pour the chicken stock over the tofu blend and mix tenderly to deglaze the wok and break up the pieces adhered to the wok. Rapidly mix the cornstarch-water blend and add it to the wok. Mix delicately for 2 minutes, or until the sauce gets sparkly and thick. Serve hot.